10.26.2011

Tomato Soup

Heidi gave me this recipe the other day and we ate it tonight before our trunk or treat. Even Bennett loved it. Next time I will make it with this crouton recipe. 

2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, w/juice
1 c. finely diced celery
1 c. finely diced carrots
1 c. finely onions
4 c. chicken broth
1/2 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. dried basil or 1/4 c. fresh
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 c. parmesan cheese
2 c. 1/2 and 1/2, warmed
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Directions: In a crock pot, combine tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, chicken broth, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.

About an hour before serving add oregano and basil and prepare roux: melt butter over low heat in pan and add flour. Stir constantly for 5 to 7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup of hot soup from crock pot. Add another 3 cups of soup and stir until smooth.

Slowly add all back into the crock pot and stir in parmesan cheese, 1/2 and 1/2, and salt and pepper. Cover and cook another hour.


*I blended the soup with a hand blender before I added the roux to make it creamy, but if you like chunky then just leave it. Next time I think I would also saute the onions before I add them, even after cooking for 6 hours they were still a little crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment